Lately, Clean Beauty has been a huge buzzword in the media. Clean beauty refers to products created without any toxic or harmful ingredients linked to serious health effects. Brands such a Beautycounter and Tula are known for their clean lines of makeup and skin care. Even Sephora has launched a “clean” line and clearly marks specific products as “clean” to make it easy for shoppers. All of the buzz about this made me question what is so bad about “non-clean” skincare and beauty products?! I did some research and was shocked at the facts:
- The personal health and beauty industry is unregulated meaning that companies can do whatever they want with no government or FDA regulations. (AKA allowed to use harmful ingredients in their products)
- 60% of products applied topically can enter the skin and overtime can lead to serious health issues such as cancer, birth defects and allergies (eek!)
- PEGs (a common ingredient in cream based products) is often mixed with a known carcinogenic product that penetrates the skin and causes harm to the nervous system.
- Most lipsticks contain synthetic antioxidants that are known to causes skin depigmentation and damage to the liver
- Phthalates, a product used in creams and fragrances, has been banned in the EU but not the USA, as it causes damage to the reproductive system and affects fertility in both women and men.
- Fragrance and Perfume are synthetic chemicals that greatly contribute to the deterioration of the immune system and can lead to a variety of mild to severe allergic reactions.
The list of “why clean beauty is better” could go on forever but I found these to be the most alarming! If you are considering making the switch, remember when shopping, just because a product says “organic, all natural or green” does not mean it is clean! In other words, clean means clean. Organic, all natural or green, does not mean its toxin free! I will soon post about how I made the switch in the most cost effective way and list some of my favorite products!
If you already use clean beauty products, what are your favorites?! Contact me or leave a comment below!