When I first came across this recipe, I was skeptical about some of the ingredients. Specifically dates. However, after the first time making and trying these I knew this would be a repeat recipe for many years. It makes for the perfect dessert that can last in a freezer for up to 3 months!
Heres what you need:
- 1 pack of pitted Medjool dates (I use these from Trader Joes )
- ⅓ Cup of almond flour
- 3 tablespoons of almond butter (I use Whole Foods Creamy Almond Butter or make my own with this recipe)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Flaky sea salt for topping (optional)
- Mini Dark Chocolate Chips (optional)
Here’s how you do it:
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper to prepare for the “carmel.”
- Chop all of the dates making sure to remove all pits.
- Place all of the chopped dates in a food processor with the almond flour, almond butter, vanilla and salt.
- Let it process until it forms a creamy mixture. (Add in the chocolate chips towards the end of processing if you chose to do so!)
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and press into an even layer in the baking pan
- Place baking pan in the freezer for an hour to set
- Sprinkle the flaky sea salt, cut into squares and serve!